The following are inscriptions from (some of) the gravestones and memorials within the church and churchyard. Use your browser search facility (Control and F) to search for a name. More graves will be transcribed during 2009. To assist in finding an actual location, the churchyard has been divided into 7 sections:
1. NW corner of the churchyard, where yews and a holly tree presently grow.
2. Stones in the NW corner but lying flat on the ground on the west side of the path leading from the church to the new graveyard. (Not yet all recorded)
3. NE corner of the churchyard, close to the churchyard wall and which consist mainly of graves of the Brereton family.
4. Graves on the north side of the main gravel path (on the right hand side as you enter the churchyard).
5. Graves on the south side of the main gravel path (on the left hand side as you enter the churchyard). (Not yet all recorded)
6. Memorials within the church itself. (Not yet recorded)
7. Graves within the new graveyard which is situated across the lane from the main churchyard. (Not yet recorded)
ILM = In Loving Memory DTL = Departed This Life IAR = In Affectionate Remembrance (etc etc)
NW corner of the churchyard, where yews and a holly tree presently grow.
1. 29284 Private A Bridges Bedfordshire Regiment 16th August 1917 Aged 36 years (NB the War Graves Commission has Allen Bridges's grave listed as being in the SE corner of the churchyard. His name is spelt "Allan" on the war memorial)
2. ILM of Alice Seaman, the beloved wife of James Seaman, who fell alseep in Jesus December 5th 1916 Aged 22 years "Not gone from memory, not gone from love, But gone to our father's home above"
3. In unfading memory of our beloved mother Pamela Seaman who entered into life eternal February 1st 1923 aged 73 years. "God called her home, it was his will, but in our hearts she dwelleth still: her memory is as dear today, as in the hour she passed away". Also to the memory of our dearest father Ephraim Seaman who entered into life eternal October 10th 1912 aged 73 years.
4. Sacred to the memory of Kate Mindham who died April 19th 1923 aged 24 years. Also of Walter William Mindham, killed in the Battle of Gaza April 19th 1917 and interred at Gaza cemetery aged 24 years. Also their cousin Audrey May Marshall, died March 31st 1921 aged 13 years.
5. ILM of our dear parents Henry Beckett died 1st march 1928 in his 72nd year. Also his wife Hannah beckett died 22nd September 1939 in her 83rd year. "At Rest"
6. ILM of Thomas Savory died September 20th 1929 aged 87 years "At Rest". Also Emily Savory died July 28th 1938 aged 94 years. "Reunited".
7. ILM of Frederick Preacher who DTL 21st May 1940 aged 69 years. Also his wife Emma Elizabeth who DTL 2nd July 1957 aged 79 years "Reunited".
8. ILM of Robert Nobes who died November 24th 1928 aged 74 years. "Peace". Also Rebecca his wife who died April 8th 1935 aged 73 years.
9. ILM of our dear mother Catherine Bailey who fell asleep January 13th 1928 aged 59 years. "The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God, there no evil shall befall them, they are at peace".
10. ILM of Herbert the beloved husband of Catherine Bailey who died June 1st 1913 aged 50 years. "Jesus in thy gracious keeping, leave we now our loved ones sleeping".
11. Affectionate remembrance of Henry Mindham died January 7th 1942 aged 81 years. "Peace perfect peace". In affectionate remembrance of Harriet the beloved wife of of Henry Mindham who fell asleep in Jesus March 29th 1933 aaged 73 years. "With no abiding city here, this may distress the worldlings mind, but should not cost the saint a fear, who hopes a better rest to find".
12. In affectionate remembrance of Herbert Mindham who fell asleep in Jesus August 19th 1928 aged 37 years "Meet me there, oh meet me there".
13. (under the yew tree): In memory of Edward Hipkin who died October 1st 1917 aged 26 years. "RIP".
14. ILM of Audrey Mickleburgh died 21st August 1917 aged 13yrs. Also of William father of the above killed in France 31st July 1916 aged 34 years (NB The war memorial has his name spelt Mickleborough and the War Graves Commission has a further variation - Lance Corporal 21272 (Border Regiment) William Mickelburgh)
15. ILM of Elizabeth Jones died November 18th 1909 aged 58 years
16. ILM of our dear mother Lydia Bailey died April 14th 1917 aged 54 years. "Peace perfect peace". Erected by her son and daughters. Also of Henry Joseph Allen DCM, MSM her only son who died November 27th 1960 aged 64 years. (note: DCM = Distinguished Conduct Medal and MSM = Meritorious Service Medal )
17. ILM of Elizabeth the beloved wife of Henry Bailey who died January 19th 1904 aged 74 years. "God called her home, it was his will, but in our hearts she dwelleth still: her memory is as dear today, as in the hour she passed away". Also two of her children (sic). Also Henry Bailey husband of the above July 11th 1928 aged 95 years. "At Rest".
18. ILM of James William Rix died January 1st 1939 in his 60th year "His gentle ways and loving smile are pleasant to recall he had a kindly word for each and died beloved by all". Always remembered by his loving mother and sister.
19. ILM of Thomas Rix who died October 11th 1927 aged 77 yrs. "Peace perfect peace".
20. ILM of Samuel Curson who died June 28th 1893 aged 64 years. "Let all the world say what they may, God alone is judge". Also Caroline his wife who died November 7th 1908 in her 80th year. "Until the day breaks and the shadows flee away".
21. ILM of Matthew the beloved husband of Sarah Betts who died October 26th 1912 aged 67 years. ("Sleep on beloved, sleep on and take thy rest, lay down thy head upon thy saviour's breast; we loved thee well but Jesus loved thee best. Goodnight , goodnight. Not lost but gone before").
22. In affectionate remembrance of Susannah, the beloved wife of George Linford died July 20th 1900 aged 48 years ("Her end was peace"). Also of George Linford died March 15th 1918 aged 71years.
23. ILM of Elisabeth, the beloved wife of of James Large who died 7th August 1911 aged 71 years. ("Weep not for me my children dear, I am not dead but sleeping here: as I am now so you must be, prepare yourselves to follow me"). Also James Large beloved husband of the above who died 2nd April 1920 aged 82 years ("Thou shalt come to thy grave in a full age, like as a shock of corn cometh in his season").
24. ILM of Ernest Louis Large who died (August or April) 1896.
25. Loving remembrance of Emily, loving daughter of Thomas and Emily Savory who died November 30th 1896 aged 27 years
26. ILM of John Benjamin Jarvis who died May 25th 1928 aged 59 years. ("R.I.P.")
27. Elizabeth beloved wife of William Barrett who died May 5th 1900 aged 73 years. Also of William Barrett who died January 18th 1916 aged 91 years. ("Lord have I loved the habitation of thine house and the place where thine honour dwelleth")
28. ILM of Caroline Barrett died January 21st 1932 in her 65th year. ("Peace perfect peace")
29. ILM of Thomas Richard Barrett died April 21st 1932 aged 54 years. ("R.I.P.")
30. ILM of Dorothy Maud Gibson died 13th October 1931 aged 37 years. Also of Thomas Gibson died 30th October 1939 aged 25 years. Also of Louisa Gibson died 1st July 1950 aged 92 years ("Remembered, loved and never forgotten"). There is a side stone attached to the grave which appears to be connected: Also of Elizabeth Ann Smith died 15th August 1957 aged 72 years.
31. ILM of Kate Elizabeth the beloved wife of James Savory died 29th April 1934 aged 58 years ("At Rest"). Also her beloved husband James died 28th November 1955 aged 92 years.
32. ILM of Walter Shread died May 18th 1932 aged 54 years. (Note: Bernard Farrow recalls an outbreak of typhoid in Flitcham in 1932 and that Phyllis Shread was recalled from service in Hertfordshire to look after her sick parents).
33. ILM of Phyllis Mary Shread died June 25th 1932 aged 19 years.
34. ILM of Jennie Shread died August 6th 1932 aged 57 years.
35. ILM of Barbara Bridges died 21st March 1941 aged 72 yrs and William Bridges died 20th May 1956 aged 88 years.
36. In unfading memory of Anna Maria Sands died 6th May 1941 aged 73 yrs. ("Peace perfect peace"). Also of Elkanah Frederick Sands beloved husband of the above who died the 5th January 1953 aged 87 years.
37. ILM of George Shread who died March 30th 1902 aged 59 yrs ("Rest on dear husband thy labours o'er, thy willing hands shall toil no more; a faithful father true and kind no friend on earth like thee I find").
38. ILM of our dear mother Harriet, beloved wife of Samuel George Walden died April 22nd 1937 aged 61 years - also Harold Douglas Walden aged (part illegible) 61 or 6 years ? - beloved - and Samuel husband of Harriet Walden died December 8th 1935 aged 57 years
39. ILM of Isabella Cronow who died May 1st 1911 aged 44 years Jesus lover of my soul let me to thy bosom fly
40. In loving remembrance of Susan, the beloved wife of Henry Creamer, who died January 31st 1894 aged 56 years ("At eventide there shall be light"). Also Henry Creamer died July 24th 1901 aged 32 years ("In the midst of life we are in death").
41. 1537 Private A Bridges, Norfolk Regiment 13th March 1915. Aged 25. (NB the War Graves Commission has Arthur Bridges's grave listed as being "south of west end of church")
Stones in the NW corner but lying flat on the ground on the west side of the path leading from the church to the new graveyard. (Not all yet recorded)
(1st stone from the gate) Sacred to the memory of Robert Fulcher who died 13th March 1873 aged 52 yrs (32?)
(2nd stone from the gate) Sacred to the memory of Martin the beloved son of Will. & Mary Burrell who departed this life February18th1827 aged 13 yrs (inscription illegible)
(3rd stone from the gate) In memory of Ann wife of James (Manfer?) daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Parker who departed this life Nov 29th 1777 aged 34 years
(4th stone from the gate) ILM of Thomas Fulcher died Sept 19th 1886 aged 62 yrs. Also Hannah Maria daughter of the above died Oct 15th 1871 aged 11 yrs. Also Margaret, wife of the above who died September 3rd 1898 aged 69 yrs ("Therefore be ye also ready for in such an hour as ye think not the son of man cometh").
(5th stone from the gate) In loving remembrance of James Linford who died at Flitcham 28th March 1891 aged 83years / Ann the beloved wife of James Linford who died 21st December 1882 aged 76 yrs
(6th stone from the gate) Mary Ann Fulcher who died December 30th 1890 aged 82 yrs / John Fulcher who died June 7th 1890 aged 79 years
(7th stone from the gate) ILM of Harriet Dowd dec 1st 1886 aged 83 yrs
(8th stone from the gate) In affectionate remembrance of James Rippengill born Sept 23rd 1852, died February 23rd 1891
(9th stone from the gate) Sacred to the memory of Frances daughter of Martin and Mary Rippengill who died Oct 18th 1860 aged 17 years
Stones in the NE corner of the churchyard, close to the churchyard wall and which consist mainly of graves of the Brereton family.
Christopher Wellingham son of William and Ann Reeve Betts of Harpley Dams died May (1866?) aged 13 (?) years
IAM of Nellie the beloved wife of Herbert D Soobey died March 1st 1889 aged 27 years
(Within iron railings) In memory Arthur the beloved son of George and Mary Ann Brereton Oct 26th 1874 aged 2 years
(Within iron railings) In memory of Kezia widow of the late George Brereton formerly of this parish who died August 20th 1874 aged 65 years.
(Within iron railings) Here lieth the body of George Brereton who departed this life June 22nd 1870 in the 73rd year of his age.
IM of George Brereton of this parish who died 7th June 1895 aged 66 years/ also of his beloved wife Mary Ann Brereton died 21st (?) June 1919 aged 83 years
George Brereton died November 1952 aged 93 years
In beloved memory of Mary Cooke 1870 - 1948
In memory of Francis Chapman died September 7th 1852 in the 85th year of his age. ("He was for more than 20 years a faithful servant of Mr George Brereton of The Hall Farm in this parish").
ILM of Beatrice Joan Brereton died April 22nd 1933 aged 21 years
IM of Annie beloved wife of Robert Brereton, died January 31st 1937 aged 63 years / Also of Robert Brereton died July 21st 1947 aged 81 years
ILM of our dear mother Martha Patrick died 12th March 1935 aged 83 years
Stones on the north side of the main gravel path
Large horizontal stone immediately on the right of the main gate
(north face) Sacred to the memory of Mary Young who died December 8th 1877 aged 82 years
(east face) Sacred to the memory of Frederick Middleton born June 10th 1865 died Aug 16th 1865 aged 2 months and 6 days.
(south face) Sacred to the memory of Epaphroditus Young esq who departed this life January 2nd 1865 aged 66 years (He fell asleep in Jesus)
(west face) Sacred to the memory of Charles Howard Matthew born March 25th 1865 died February 11 1867 son of the late Staff Surgeon Major
(Stone nearest the church porch) ILM of a beloved husband and father Harry Bix who died 15th August 1941 aged 61 years "Loves last gift - remembrance". Also of Sophia Suzannah Bix who died 5th March 1957 aged 76 years "Reunited"
ILM of Vernon Barrett. "God called a little child" 1942 - 43. Also dear parents Florence Barrett 1900-1972 and Thomas Barrett 1904 - 1977 "Reunited together"
IELM of Alice Maud beloved wife of Arthur Clements who departed this life 18th June 1941 aged 64yrs "Forever with the Lord" also of Arthur Clements died 7th October 1959 aged 84 years "Reunited"
ILR of our dear mother Hannah Secker who departed this life 9th August1941 aged 68 yrs "Loves last gift - remembrance"
ILM of Arthur John Sands who died 11th May 1963 aged 74 years. Also Eleanor Mary Sands died 7th February 1966 aged 76 yrs "At rest"
ILM of my dear wife Mary Cocks who passed away Sept 12th 1936 aged 70. "At rest"
Thomas Guy Martin Wood ("Priest") 1937-1971?
ILM of David Jones BA. Vicar of this Parish for 7 years. Formerly Rector of Anmer and Curate in charge of Flitcham died April 2nd 1906 aged 54 years ("A little while and ye shall not see me..")
IAR of a good wife and mother Ann Williamson who departed this life March 14th 1930 aged 67 yrs ("At rest").
ILM of Robert John Reeve died 23rd May 1947 aged 71 yrs ("At rest"). Also of his loving wife Elizabeth died 11th April 1955 aged 76 years ("Reunited")
Sacred to the memory of David Linford died March 27th 1865 aged 84 yrs / Mary wife of David Linford died June 17th 1852 aged 66 years
Stones on the south side of the main gravel path
46. (Stone south-west of the church porch). Sacred to the memory of Will. Burrell (farmer) who departed this life on the 7th March 1833 in the 52nd year of his age leaving 10 children (and 1 posthumous) for his beloved and mourning widow Mary Burrell to bring up and place out in life to impress on the minds of each, such irreparable loss: the tender and affectionate mother has caused this stone to be erected. (inscription illegible). Also to the memory of Mary, widow of William Burrell who departed this life January 23rd 1881 in the 90th year of her age.
ILM of Ethel May Linford died July 6th 1964 aged 68 years "Loved and remembered always"
ILM of Frederick William Betts of Flitcham Abbey died October 25th 1919 aged 30
IM of Mary Mackworth born 18th Sept 1867 died 24th February 1955. Also of her granddaughter Judith Anne Wilson born 26th June 1940 died 5th May 1941 "May light perpetual shine upon them".
ILM Margaret Julia Wilson died 22nd March 1974 aged 67 years
Louisa Margaretta Wilson died 29th March 1963 aged 88 years
Alice May McCall born May 18th 1875 died February 17th 1961
John Billing who passed away 22nd February 1915 aged 87 years. Also of Catherine beloved wife of the above who passed away 11th July 1915 aged 81 years. "Thy will be done"
Caroline daughter of John and Catherine Billing who died December 15th 1904 aged 30 years. "The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away".
ILM of Charles Thomas who died 13 December 1906 aged 8 months also of Agnes who died 6th February 1915 aged 17 months. The dearly beloved children of Henry and Agnes Billing. "Suffer the little children to come unto me"
Josephine Winteringham (sic) daughter of Eldred and Matilda Wilson died November 11th 1914 aged 23 years "Blessed are the pure in heart"
Rachel Plumpton daughter of Eldred and Matilda Wilson died December 10th 1914 aged 27 years "He shall give them eternal life"
Eldred Wintringham Wilson (sic) died 12 December 1936 aged 86.
Matilda Miriam Wilson died 3rd July 1939 aged 88 years "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God"
Richard Eldred Wilson died 8th March 1938 aged 61. "But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God."
Charlotte Wilson wife of Richard Eldred Wilson died 4th October 1966.
ILM of Alfred John the beloved son of George and Edith Newton who died February 25th 1919 aged 4 years "Asleep with Jesus"
(Stone nearest the path, 2nd row from the back fence - illegible).